Health and Safety Policy
Haughey Metals Ltd is a major company for the collection and processing of scrap metal in Ireland in both the public and private sector. At all times any reasonably practicable measures will be taken to ensure the safety and continued well being of our employees, sub contractors, the public and any other person who may be affected by the activities of the business.
It is the policy of Haughey Metals Ltd to:
- Implement and monitor a Health and Safety Management system to manage risks associated with our premises and activities.
- Provide sufficient resources to ensure that the requirements of current Health and Safety legislation are fulfilled.
- Establish a system whereby all workers can contribute to Health and Safety policy through identification of possible hazards and near misses.
- Inform and educate all our staff on our Health and Safety policy to ensure a safe working environment.
- Train all staff to the level of competency necessary to execute their work duties safely.
- Undertake risk assessments to identify hazards and control methods of all work practices. To regularly review work practices and execute new risk assessments when needed.
- Maintain records of workers safety where appropriate.
- Maintain premises and work equipment to sufficient standards to ensure safety. Establish systems whereby all faults are brought to management attention and remedial action taken as quickly as possible.
The Health & Safety Policy has been defined and endorsed by the company’s senior management and has been communicated throughout the organisation by means of documented procedures in the Quality Systems Manual, and is included in all site document packs, is displayed on staff notice boards and detailed in all staff and site inductions.
The Health & Safety Policy statement and its associated organisational arrangements, systems and procedures will be revised annually and revised as necessary to reflect changes to the business activities. All changes to the policy and legislation will be brought to the attention of all its employees.
It is the responsibility of all employees to co-operate in the implementation of this Health & Safety Policy within their areas of influence. All employees have a legal duty to ensure their own safety and the safety of others under the Health & Safety Work Act 1974. Any failure by an employee to comply with any aspect of the company’s Health & Safety procedures, rules or duties will be treated by the company as serious or gross misconduct.
Haughey Metals Ltd is a major company for the collection and processing of scrap metal in Ireland in both the public and private sector.
Haughey Metals Ltd is committed to environmental excellence in the manor we carry out our daily operations. Our Environmental Policy is regularly reviewed by the management to maintain its effectiveness, achieve continual improvement in our operations and to ensure it remains appropriate to the purposes, scale, nature and impact of the company’s operations in the reduction / prevention of pollution and other damages to the environment.
Haughey Metals Ltd are committed to:
- Caring for the environment and the prevention of pollution.
- Operating the company to the environmental systems required by ISO 14001.
- Abiding by all relevant environmental legislation and applicable requirements.
- Minimising waste, promoting recycling, reducing energy and raw material consumption and reducing harmful emissions.
- Working with suppliers to promote positive environmental actions.
- Continually improve our environmental performance by setting objectives, actions and targets.
- Communicating our policy within our company and to the public.
The Environmental Policy has been defined and endorsed by the company’s senior management and has been communicated throughout the organisation by means of documented procedures in the Management Systems Manual, and is included in all site document packs, is displayed on staff notice boards and detailed in all staff and site induction paperwork.
Ultimate responsibility for the Environmental Management System is that of the Managing Director but care of the environment is the responsibility of everyone in the company. It is also the responsibility of Haughey Metals Ltd to provide adequate and appropriate resources to implement this policy.
We have a Waste Management Plan in place. It is constantly evolving as new recycling technologies and economic conditions arise. At present all material brought to our works is graded, and stored in segregated areas. Ferrous metal is separated from non-ferrous metal. The ferrous metal is then processed as furnace feed for steel mills. Any dirt or stones are removed at this stage. Stones are then removed from dirt and sold as aggregate the remaining dirt is land filled. The non-ferrous scrap is separated into grades of aluminium, copper, stainless steel, brass, lead, electrical cable etc. Any foreign material e.g.; wood, glass rubber, plastic etc is removed and where possible is recycled. The non-ferrous metals are then baled, shredded or cut according to customer requirements.
Our target is to economically recycle 100% of all materials that we handle. To achieve this we intend to continue our investment in new processing technology and machinery. We will also continue to strive to identify better market opportunities for all materials. In striving to meet these targets we will always keep in mind the environmental impact of our operations.
We are in negotiations with a waste contractor to take all our timber of site, which in turn will be shredded and sold on to a cement-manufacturing factory.